Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Surface Design Pattern: Research

  Research #1

  The first design is inspired by Amaranth, which is a type of grain crop. It can be used as a dye but the plant itself is beautiful color, and I think making a design based off of it would be a fun challenge. Especially since when researching to see if there was anyone who had already made a pattern based on the plant I did not succeed in finding an example.

 

 

(The above image is sourced from "https://farmdirectseed.com/products/mayo-amaranth-amaranthus-cruentus" Which is website for purchasing seeds) 

 

Research #2

The other design is going to be based on wheat. I really like botanical based designs for fabric so I enjoyed the idea of making a design based on plants. I chose amaranth for the first design because I had been wanting to use it in a project for a while and I thought since wheat is also a grain plant (and also has an interesting shape) it would be a good companion for the amaranth.

 

 

 (I chose this image since it give a good amount of range for how wheat can look at different stages in the process Source: "https://www.realsimple.com/is-wheat-bread-healthy-8418255") 

 

Research #3

This example is a stylized depiction of wheat for a piece of upholstery fabric. I liked how the wheat had been simplified, though my final design probably won't look precisely like this as I am toying with the idea of my pattern also including bread as well as dry and still growing wheat to add some more color.

 

(Image Source: "https://www.amazon.com/Ambesonne-Agriculture-Farmland-Decorative-Upholstery/dp/B07PCSBWQH")

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dye Experiments

  Dye Experiment #1: Marigold and Indigo  Dye Experiment #2: Indigo  Dye Experiment #3: Marigold and Indigo Dye Experiment #4: Indigo and a ...